Service Employees International Union Coordinator of Field Services for Higher Education Faculty in Boston, Massachusetts
SEIU Local 509 (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Coordinator of Field Services for Higher Education Faculty, SEIU Local 509
Location: Boston MA
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing over 18,000 state workers, publicly funded but privately employed workers, faculty and Family Childcare Providers in Massachusetts.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
· Supervises internal organizers
· Oversees negotiations at universities
· Coordinates internal organizers’ work with other components of the Local Union such as, grievance representation, organizing and politics
· Consults with and advises Higher Education chapter leadership regarding chapter issues, strategies and tactics
· Coordinates community, research and political support for Higher Education bargaining and contract campaigns
· Coordinates with SEIU Adjunct Action program
· Advises and directs stewards and officers on internal organizing.
· Plans, develops and coordinates leadership development
· Develops and coordinates chapterwide faculty committee
· Maintains liaison with various college and university personnel to facilitate problem solving on all levels
· Meets with management to discuss various issues
· Attends membership, chapter and local meetings
· Responds to member concerns and complaints
· Performs related work as required
· Evaluates work performance of staff
· At least 4 years of union experience at a senior level
· At least 1 year experience with a faculty union
· At least 1 year supervisory experience
· Good written and oral communication skills
· Ability to work in stressful situations
· Willingness to work long hours, travel in and out of Massachusetts, and work on weekends and evenings
· Good understanding of the contingent faculty labor market
· Good knowledge of contract interpretation, and federal and state employment laws
· Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with Web based membership databases such as: Emembership, VAN, or Unionware
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
· Local 509 provides excellent benefits. Depending on experience and qualifications the salary for this position ranges from 70-80K.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU Local 509 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
External Company URL: www.seiu.org