Boston University SPECIAL ADVISOR TO THE VICE PRESIDENT, ASSOCIATE PROVOST & CHIEF OF STAFF, GLOBAL PROGRAMS in BOSTON, Massachusetts
Tracking Code 4665/F0217 Job Description
Position Description/General Summary:
Reporting to the Vice President and Associate Provost for Global Programs (VP/AP) and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Special Advisor & Chief of Staff will contribute to the development of Global Programs’ strategic goals and objectives and be responsible for strengthening and coordinating BU’s global programs across the University and around the world. The incumbent is a critical partner in ensuring the VP/AP accomplishes annual and multi-year priorities, and assist with coordination of meetings between Global Programs and an increasing number of visiting institutions/dignitaries as well as with BU Schools and Colleges. Successful performance depends on effective work with a wide range of university constituencies, broad understanding of university programs and administrative processes, experience working in global environments, and excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the VP/AP informed of all critical issues, and ensure uniform data dissemination across all units of Global Programs. Serve as the central resource for program information and data analytics on global programs and activities across the University in line with BU’s comprehensive vision for global programs. Prepare and maintain documentation on global activities, as well as presentations and other materials as needed. Drafts memos, presentations and speeches. (20%)
- Create systems to ensure Global Programs and its units are on track to meet their annual goals by synthesizing, analyzing and managing data provided by domestic and international teams. In collaboration with the Program Data Analyst and Associate Director, Finance and Administration prepare detailed weekly and high level semester statics reports for each division for the VP/AP and other senior staff. (20%)
- Provide project planning and management for both departmental projects and global initiatives (e.g. international collaborations, legal requirements, crisis management). Analyze existing agreements and advise on improvements and address possible opportunities for financial growth within Global Programs. (15%)
- Assess potential University collaborations and initiatives by conducting research and producing reports related to the potential partner institutions and serve as a focal point for planning and organizing visits from delegations to the University. Respond to all inquiries related to such visits. Represent the VP/AP at meetings and in other forums inside and outside the University as required. (10%)
- Prioritize, organize and support initiatives of the VP/AP and organize the execution of those priorities, balance the competing interests of both internal and external stakeholders. (10%)
- In collaboration with the Associate Director, Finance and Administration assist in developing processes and procedures to ensure administrative efficiencies across all units. (10%)
- Support the work of Global Programs various committee groups (strategic, communications, health and safety, finance and operations, crisis management). (5%)
- Help to develop and execute communication strategies for disseminating information on global programs, in collaboration with the Managing Director, Strategy and Communications and the communications team. Provide written documentation (e.g., websites, memorandums, and briefings) as required. (5%)
- Assist in other activities as identified and requested, including support related to the VP/AP’s oversight of Study Abroad, International Students and Scholars Office, Center for English Language and Orientation Programs, Global Offices, and EUSA. (5%) Required Skills
Master's degree required, with a minimum of 7 years of related experience in a fast paced operational environment, preference for Higher Education experience. Experience directly managing global programs. Strong leadership, collaboration, project management, problem- solving, change management and influencing skills. Experience serving as an operational advisor to a senior leadership team. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including verbal and written communication across all levels in an organization. Ability to think qualitatively as well as quantitatively to produce high quality of work reflecting attention to detail and accuracy. Ability and willingness to travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular