Harvard University Assistant Director and Director of International Advising in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Auto req ID 42292BR
Business Title Assistant Director and Director of International Advising
School/Unit Harvard Law School
Location USA - MA - Cambridge
Job Function Faculty & Student Services
Time Status Part-time
Schedule This is a 17.5 hour/week position. Work schedule is to be determined.
Department HLS^Career Svc
Salary Grade 057
Union 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities Reports to the Assistant Dean for Career Services. Serves on a team of career advisors and assumes the primary responsibility for counseling the School’s LL.M. students( 170 foreign trained graduate students) and J.D. student interested in international private law practice. Provides general career advising to J.D. students with other career interests.
• Responsible for managing and implementing all aspects of LLM career advising, programing and recruitment programs;
• Provide career guidance on CV and cover letters and counsels and advises students on job search strategies and interview techniques;
• Plan, develop and implement comprehensive career-related panels including the an annual series of substantive programs called the Global Practice Series, Lunch and Learn programming, and also teaching and advising J.D. students about individual areas of international practice.
• Conceive, develop and write all related online and print communications.
• Monitor the job market, analyze trends and devise strategies to market LLM students to prospective employers.
Basic Qualifications • J.D. required.
• Three years minimum experience working in a legal setting and significant mentoring or counseling experience.
• Candidates with at least ten or more years of relevant professional experience working as an attorney, counselor or administrator in a legal, academic or business setting may be considered for a grade 58.
Additional Qualifications • Experience in a law firm or an in-house legal position and with an international focus, preferred.
• School career services office, knowledge of self-assessment tools, and alternative legal and non-legal career paths is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of hiring trends in the legal profession, both in the US and abroad and an understanding of the international legal credentials and standards.
• Project and event planning experience is also highly desirable.
• Superior interpersonal, written and oral presentation skills including comfort with public speaking skills; must be skilled for working well in an intercultural setting
• Proven team orientation;
• Outstanding problem-solving abilities, a strong work ethic, and superb judgment; a sense of humor and an enthusiastic approach to his or her work; and solid technology skills including comfort with databases and all Microsoft Office products.
Additional Information All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Please note, there is a strong internal candidate for this position.
Pre-Employment Screening Education
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.