Harvard University Executive Director, Harvard Law School Executive Education in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Auto req ID 42793BR
Business Title Executive Director, Harvard Law School Executive Education
School/Unit Harvard Law School
Location USA - MA - Cambridge
Job Function General Administration
Time Status Full-time
Schedule Monday through Friday, 9 to 5
Department HLS^Executive Education
Salary Grade 059
Union 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities The Executive Director is responsible for operations principally in three directions:
• Externally: Works with the Faculty Director to develop strategy and execute it in relation to clients and potential clients, including ongoing delivery of existing programs (in collaboration with faculty chairs of the programs) and development of new programs; cultivating key client and market-facing relationships; and strengthening the Harvard Law School Executive Education brand through development and execution of a marketing strategy, enrollment and alumni initiatives, and communications.
• Internally: Under the guidance of the Faculty Director, develops business and other metrics and forecasts and executes strategy in relation to internal organization; oversees and day-to-day operations and manages the team to ensure highest quality program delivery; oversees and manages administrative and financial activities, including budgeting and accounting, space planning, human resources, and internal communications; and fosters a work environment that attracts, retains, and leverages a diverse team of top quality faculty and staff.
• Laterally: Develops and strengthens key relationships
o across the Harvard community with which the department interacts, including HLS, HBS, cross-Harvard Executive Education community, and other Harvard faculty who teach or may teach in Executive Education programs;
o across the Law School departments including the Case Development Initiative, the Program on the Legal Profession, the Program on Negotiations, Finance, Human Resources, Facilities, Alumni Affairs, and others; and
o with other potential collaborative partners including universities, professional bodies and associations, government bodies, policy groups, and independent consultancies or related businesses.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
B. Basic Qualifications Total of boxes A, B and C limited to 5000 characters.
A masters’ degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. (degrees in business, law, economics, political science, or a related discipline). A minimum of 8 years (10 for lvl 60) of progressive financial, administrative, and supervisory experience are required.
Basic Qualifications A masters’ degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. (degrees in business, law, economics, political science, or a related discipline). A minimum of 8 years (10 for lvl 60) of progressive financial, administrative, and supervisory experience are required.
Additional Qualifications • Familiarity with both academic and legal practice environments and a foundational understanding of best practices in executive education;
• International educational programming experience and experience with online learning environments;
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the legal profession and the operation of law firms or other professional service organizations, as well as sufficient familiarity with the leading organizations in the legal profession (private practice firms as well as governmental and/or public interest organizations);
• Excellent leadership, managerial, and organizational skills, with a passion for team and project management and development.
The skills listed above should enable the ED to successfully work with the Faculty Director at a strategic level; implement general directives and principles; take initiative to anticipate and resolve problems; manage and motivate the team in executing complex and fast developing projects; and gather information from, listen to and collaborate with all stakeholders and team members. The ED shall have the ability to : identify the resources, procedures and systems needed to achieve general goals; develop, implement and revise plans; prioritize work and resources based on strategic objectives in an intense work environment; serve as both leader and team member and as a role model for the team while working with team members to achieve organizational goals; facilitate the team’s delivery of specialized programs in an integrated manner; and encourage development of all team members.
Additional Information This is a term appointment currently expected to extend to June 30, 2018, subject to funding and departmental need.
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Candidates with experience beyond 10 years may be considered for a grade 60 hire.
Pre-Employment Screening Credit
Appointment End Date 30-Jun-2018
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.