Harvard University IT Support Assistant II in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Auto req ID 42149BR
Business Title IT Support Assistant II
School/Unit Harvard University Information Technology
Location USA - MA - Cambridge
Job Function Information Technology
Time Status Full-time
Department Support Services
Salary Grade 053
Union 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Duties & Responsibilities Harvard University IT is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
This position will support a broad range of technologies including but not limited to: desktop configuration and troubleshooting, lab workstation and printing support within departments and house labs. In addition, it is expected that this person participates in internal technical trainings for WISC staff and contribute to the knowledge management database.
This role serves as the primary support and escalation point for the Computer Labs and Classroom Support area which consists of 60+ locations, in the Cambridge campus, with a total of 300+ computers and 100+ printers. The role also serves as a backup for our Walk-in Support Center helping with light repairs and providing support for internal IT related services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide primary support for over 60 computer labs, classrooms, and printing environments
• Regular maintenance rotations
• Resolve issues through computer/printer repair
• Ensures lab documentation are accurate and updated regularly
• Perform light training on maintenance rotations for temporary staff
• Monitor lab printing and computing environment for errors and ensure optimum uptime of resources
• Serve as primary escalation for temporary staff working in the lab environment
• Track all client interactions and document work process.
• Software consultation, installation, and configuration.
• Diagnose and resolve computer related problems in hardware, applications, and operating systems at the HUIT Walk-in Support Center.
• Support students in computer labs by demonstrating proper use of equipment and explain how to use hardware and software to finish assignments.
• Identify opportunities to improve customer satisfaction, technology, and processes and to contribute to a team environment by working collaboratively.
• Must be able to work both independently and as a team player, and be able to establish effective working relationships with a wide variety of constituents, including faculty, staff and students.
• Ability to multitask.
• Help with other IT related projects.
• Other duties as assigned by management.
• Minimum 2+ years providing IT technical support and/or a Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
• Experience providing user services to a diverse community of end users.
• Ability to lift 50lbs and transport equipment using a dolly. (up to a mile or more - multiple times a day)
Additional Qualifications • Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, speaking and writing skills.
• Proven ability of working both independently and as a team player, and able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of constituents, including faculty, staff and students
• ITIL Foundations or higher
• Technical certifications such as ACMT, A+, Network
Additional Information • Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
• Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
• This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT!
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To make it easier for students, faculty and staff to learn, research, teach, and work through the effective deployment and use of information technology.
Pre-Employment Screening Criminal
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.