City of Cambridge Youth Center Pre-Teen/Middle School Program Director in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In collaboration with Youth Center Director, oversee the Pre-Teen Programming for youth ages 9-13 including:
- Create and deliver a variety of youth programs that engage youth in developmentally appropriate projects ranging from social, recreational, educational and enrichment activities
- Develop and maintain a safe and supportive environment that responds to and supports the needs and interests of each child and fosters positive and supportive relationships with and between youth and staff
- Ensure programs meet standards of high-quality, best practices in Out-of-School-Time programming
- Provide outreach to and develop partnerships with other youth-serving agencies
- Promote Youth Center activities and programming to attract new members, volunteers and collaborating partners
- Supervise Part-time Youth Workers and provide ongoing feedback and support
- With Youth Center Director, assist with the recruitment, hiring and training of staff
- Maintain ongoing documentation of daily activities, work with youth, families and staff
- Maintain accurate records including member/staff attendance, finances, incidents reports, licensing requirements, etc.
- Participate in ongoing program evaluations, both internal and external
- Participate in ongoing staff development programs to enhance program practices and quality
- Manage program budget, spending and tracking
- Participate in Youth Programs' committees
- Maintain program materials and supplies
- Plan and implement Youth Center and related community events.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field preferred
- Minimum of three years experience managing youth programs and supervising staff
- Background in Youth Development and understanding of social/emotional needs of youth/pre-teens
- Experience in working with urban youth
- Excellent organizational skills, attentiveness to detail and ability to follow through with multiple projects
- Experience with collaborative, team-oriented environments
- Interpersonal skills that excel in cultural sensitivity, respect for differences and effective communication
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS: *Must be able to lift fifty pounds and participate in activities that require physical exertion. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Main work environment is busy Youth Center. The noise level can be very loud. Youth Centers include classroom like settings, open environments & gymnasium.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 5pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Youth Center Pre-Teen/Middle School Program Director
Job Code: M427 – 710
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 37.5 hrs/wk (some evening and weekends)
POSTING DATE: May 11, 2017
CLOSING DATE: June 13, 2017
RATE: $19.58 - $26.24/hour + benefits