YMCA Greater Springfield Group Leader - Before & After School 2017-2018 School Year- Chicopee in Springfield, Massachusetts
For 165 years, the YMCA of Greater Springfield has provided youth development, fostered healthy living, and promoted social responsibility in the 14 cities and towns that it serves.We take pride in being one of the largest non-school educators in the state, one of the top 120 YMCAs in the U.S., and the second oldest Y in the country.
We are currently looking for a Group Leader - Before & After School for the 2017-2018 School Year in Chicopee to join our team. Whether you are interested in joining a leading non-profit or looking to advance your Y career, this is your opportunity to help make our community better together. The Y. ™ For a better us. ™
Please note that any and all offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background check, reference check, and new hire packet. In roles where driving is required as an essential function, a driver history check must also be successfully completed.
This person will play an important part in the work that we do each day. In addition to all other duties as assigned, this role will:
Supervise children, promote learning opportunities, and lead activities in conjunction with the Site Director at an assigned site.
Assist the Site Director in planning and implementing a holistic curriculum for a given site or sites that reflects Y values.
- Role model acceptable behaviors and decision-making for participants and peers.
- Actively participate in all related in-services, trainings, and activities.
- Utilize appropriate guidance and developmental techniques with participants to create an orderly environment that is conducive to learning and child safety.
- Provide substitute coverage to other sites on an as needed basis.
- Enforce and support the policies contained in the Y Parent Guide, Behavior Management Guide, and Staff Handbook.
The requirements and preferences (where indicated) for this role are listed below. Please review them carefully to ensure that you apply for the role that best matches your qualifications. Additional years of professional experience or a Rank of E-5 or better may be used in lieu of education requirements where permitted.
High School diploma, GED, or other equivalent
At least 2 years of experience in working with school-age children
- At least 1 year of experience in a customer service / relations
- First Aid/CPR/AED certifications or willing to obtain within 60 days of hire
- Demonstrated ability to conduct complex, critical problem solving independently
- Knowledge of and ability to learn appropriate child development techniques
- Demonstrated track record of timeliness and punctuality
While each of our leadership competencies plays a role in the success of our staff members, for this role we will be paying especial attention to the areas of:
Values - Accepts and models the Y values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility
Influence - Seeks to first understand the other person's point of view and remains calm in challenging situations
- Decision Making - Makes sound judgements and transfers learning from one situation to another
- Emotional Intelligence - Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We are proud to be a champion of diversity and an equal employment opportunity / affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to:
Sit, stand, or reach for extended periods of time;
Move around the work environment independently;
Communicate via computer, multi-line phone, and smart-phone; and,
Push, pull, or lift up to 25 pounds for short periods of time.
The noise level in the work place is usually moderate, but may vary based on a number of external factors.
Job Location: US-MA-Springfield
Hiring Manager: Amanda Hunyadi
Minimum: USD $11.00/Hr.
Maximum: USD $12.50/Hr.
Posted Date: 5/12/2017
End Date: 9/3/2017