Boston University ASSISTANT COORDINATOR, DANCE, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance in Boston, Massachusetts
The Assistant Dance Coordinator, within the Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, will assist the Dance Coordinator in overseeing the dance program’s staff, student employees, facility and programming with the priority being the Aerial Dance and Pilates classes. This position includes assisting with programming, managing, marketing, and evaluating the dance programs which include credit and noncredit classes, children’s classes and summer camp, community outreach, productions and special events, student dance company, and private instructional training.
- Assist the Dance Coordinator in managing the credit and noncredit, community and instructional dance programs.
- Develop and manage new noncredit programs and curriculum, specifically, in Aerial Dance and Pilates. Assistant Coordinator will have some teaching responsibilities, as needed. Manage safety inspections and ordering of Aerial Dance and Pilates operational and educational supplies. The Assistant Coordinator will be responsible for budgeting, payroll, and strategic planning in these specific areas of the noncredit program.
- Serve as one of three mentors to the student-run Dance Theatre Group providing critical feedback and coaching dancers, and support for their productions.
Setting: The Department of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance is housed within the Fitness and Recreation Center, which includes gyms, multi-use studios, which are shared with other program areas, as well as, a 225 seat dance studio/theater used for programs and rentals.
Department: The dance program provides programs and services for students, faculty/alumni and the BU community with over 30 credit courses, which students can take as part of their academic load, a dance minor offered collaboratively with the College of Fine Arts, with 50 minors, over 30 noncredit courses including over 20 aerial dance courses and Pilates Apparatus classes, a youth dance program, summer children’s camps, and a summer outreach program for teens. The dance faculty advise one of the many student dance groups on campus, Dance Theatre Group. There are three full-time positions including this newly created Assistant Coordinator position. The other Assistant Coordinator is the Theater Manager/Production Manager for the dance program. Both positions report to the Dance Coordinator. There are over 30 part-time aerial, dance and Pilates instructors.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in dance or higher education preferred; 3 – 5 years of professional experience in education or administration.
- Success at planning and implementing programs and courses in higher education, community, or studio environs.
- Experience in administration, promotions, and/or communications.
- Teaching, mentoring, or coaching of aerial dance and/or Pilates.
- Organized and detail-oriented work style with ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Review: Applicants should supply a cover letter detailing their suitability and applicable skill sets for the position with a resume. Applications will be reviewed as submitted and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Website for dance program: bu.edu/fitrec/dance
Bachelor's degree required. Master’s degree in dance or higher education preferred; Certification in Pilates or training in aerial dance preferred. Minimum of 3-5 years of related experience in administration, performance, and/or teaching. Demonstrated success in developing and implementing programs in universities or studios. Successful candidates will have excellent organizational/administrative skills, strong teaching evaluations, and the ability to work effectively with faculty and administrators.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Tracking Code: 6369/G2718
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Salary: Grade 74