State of Massachusetts Equity Agenda Coordinator in Boston, Massachusetts
In 2019, the Department of Higher Education launched the Equity Agenda, which seeks to improve postsecondary attainment for students of color in the Commonwealth. The Equity Agenda Coordinator (EAC) will work closely with Department staff to advance various initiatives under the Equity Agenda. The EAC will report directly to the Chief of Staff. The Department of Higher Education is committed to dismantling systemic and institutional barriers faced by Black, Latinx, and students of color and the Equity Agenda represents a new vision of public postsecondary education grounded in racial equity.
The Massachusetts Public Higher Education System
The Massachusetts System of Public Higher Education (“System”) serves approximately 272,000 students annually. The System is made up of 15 community colleges, 9 state universities and 5 University of Massachusetts (“UMass”) campuses. The BHE, together with each respective Board of Trustees, expects all students, faculty, and staff to be held to exacting standards in the performance of their roles and responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
• Work closely to assist the Chief of Staff and the Assistant Commissioner for Regulatory Affairs and Strategic Initiatives as a thought partner and project manager on key initiatives that advance the Equity Agenda.
• Provide background research and assist in developing policy recommendations and initiatives designed to increase access and improve student success in support of the Equity Agenda.
• Coordinate details of events such as major conferences and statewide meetings related to the Equity Agenda.
• Serve as an adviser to Department staff advancing Equity Agenda initiatives.
• Develop reports in response to grant requirements.
• Respond to information requests and policy inquiries from multiple stakeholders as determined by the Chief of Staff.
• Other related and appropriate duties as assigned by Chief of Staff.
Education Qualifications and Experience:
o Baccalaureate or Master’s degree and/or experience in justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in higher education.
o Knowledge of racial equity, social justice, diversity and inclusion scholarship and practices.
o Experience and demonstrated success with project management.
o Experience working with minoritized student groups, preferably within postsecondary environments or schools.
o Well-developed technology skills and proficient use of various software programs.
o Able to assist in data analysis and utility of applications, assist in synthesizing information and collaborate with colleagues to make appropriate recommendations.
o Adaptive capacity toward varying and changing circumstances to meet emerging or changing needs as determined by the Chief of Staff.
Skills and Attributes:
o Demonstrate commitment to racial equity and social justice.
o Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively and congenially with all other staff members.
o Exhibit proficient writing, oral language and presentation skills commensurate with position.
o Demonstrate an ability to take initiative, assist in decisions, help resolve problems, and work effectively and in a collegial manner with all levels of staff and constituents.
o Exhibit a proactive approach to learning and eagerness to acquire new skills.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Administrative Services
Organization: *Department of Higher Education
Title: Equity Agenda Coordinator
Location: Massachusetts-Boston-1 Ashburton Place
Requisition ID: 200005C6