Boston University RESEARCH STUDY ASSISTANT, School of Medicine, Family Medicine in BOSTON, Massachusetts
Tracking Code 5846/E1718 Job Description
Seeking a Research Assistant for an entry level position working directly under the Study Coordinator. BU CHAMPs is a grant-funded group that seeks to implement interprofessional health care training at BU by creating student-run Interprofessional Care Clinics (ICCs) that treat complex patients in community health centers. The ICCs consist of an hour of educational activities followed by patient visits with interprofessional teams of students consisting of a Family Medicine resident, a medical student, a physician assistant student, a social work intern, and a dietetic intern.
Grant activities include running the ICCs at our current two sites, South Boston Community Health Center and the Ambulatory Care Center at BMC, as well as implementation of an ICC at one new site per year. We also conduct research on the impact and effectiveness of the ICC on trainee attitudes, patient medical outcomes, and the quality of the patient and trainee experience.
The research assistant will attend both clinics (Mondays 2-6pm at Boston Medical Center, Tuesdays 4-8pm at South Boston Community Health Center) and assist with room setup, AV troubleshooting, preparation of any course materials needed, timekeeping, keeping faculty and trainees on task, and tracking patient attendance. The research assistant also consents patients who come to the ICC into a research study tracking their medical outcomes over time through the electronic medical record. The research assistant will follow up with ICC patients and trainees to schedule qualitative interviews. The RA will conduct some of these interviews, following a written guide, and will transcribe and analyze all interviews using NVivo. The RA will also assist in the administration of surveys, data entry and quality assurance, literature reviews, and general project maintenance including posting course materials on Blackboard.
Opportunity to attend weekly lectures for educational advancement. A minimum of a two year commitment is strongly preferred. Applicants must be able to work Tuesday nights 4-8pm every week.
- Interest in health education, healthcare delivery to underserved populations, or healthcare innovation preferred.
- Must be available every Tuesday from 4-8pm. Must be open to potentially working other evenings as well, with hours adjusted accordingly to not exceed 40 hours per week.
- Prior research experience preferred but not required
- Must be very proficient in Word and Excel
- Must be detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to communicate effectively (listen and build trust) and non-judgmentally with all patients.
- Job training will be provided on site. Must successfully complete training in human subjects research certification.
- Ability to work independently in a clinical setting and also to collaborate with a team made up of various clinicians and professionals.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular