Triangle Inc. Suited Self Defense Instructor- per diem in Boston, Massachusetts
SUITED SELF-DEFENSE INSTRUCTOR NEEDED FOR IMPACT, A
FULL-CONTACT, TRAUMA-INFORMED SELF-DEFENSE PROGRAM
IMPACT: A Division of Triangle
Variable Schedule, Weekday Day Time Availability Preferred
Since 1987 IMPACT Boston has been a leader in personal safety and self- defense training. Our curriculum presents students with realistic scenarios of threat, intimidation and imminent danger. Through repeated practice of fighting full-force in an adrenalized state, students learn to respond effectively to dangerous situations. Additionally, our organizational philosophy emphasizes abuse prevention, healing, empowerment, social justice, awareness and sensitivity to students' histories of trauma.
IMPACT teaches women, men, children, and teens and has created customized programs for numerous groups including people with disabilities, abuse survivors, LGBTQ people, and high school students. Research on graduates of IMPACT shows that the training reduces symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in survivors of child abuse and domestic violence and that it increases students' self-efficacy and self-confidence in many areas of life, not just self- defense.
IMPACT is hiring suited instructors to teach self-defense classes as part of a mixed gendered teaching team. In IMPACT’s training model, suited instructors play a unique role that involves both teaching physical and verbal skills and playing the role of a perpetrator in simulated attack situations with students.
Suited instructors wear full body armor specifically designed for this training to ensure their safety in scenarios in which students defend themselves by striking as hard as they can.
We are looking for candidates with a strong commitment to preventing violence and the willingness to play these multiple roles. No self-defense experience is necessary. Extensive paid training is provided.
Instructors are needed to work part-time on a varied schedule that includes weekday daytime hours and involves travel that is mostly within Eastern Massachusetts with occasional trips to Western Massachusetts and other New England states. Travel time is compensated and overnight travel is rare.
· Ability and willingness to teach a physically demanding curriculum
· Excellent physical condition—experience in martial arts or contact sports is preferred
· Ability and willingness to provide support to students through a training process that is at times difficult and emotionally charged
· Ability and willingness to play the role of a perpetrator in simulated attack scenarios
· Some experience with teaching, counseling, martial arts, athletics, youth development, work with trauma survivors, criminal justice, or personal safety
· Reliable access to a car and cell phone
· Availability during weekday daytime hours
· Experience working with teens and middle school students or strong willingness to teach self-defense to young people
· Competency or Fluency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, or Portuguese is a plus