Beth Israel Lahey Health Certified Diabetic Educator in Burlington, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Day (United States of America)
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Primary Care Physician, provides education to any and all diabetic patients. Provides education and counseling to include introduction to use of insulin, diet and nutritional information, disease management information and home monitoring of glucose levels. Position requires both phone contact, patient office visits and educational programs for groups of patients. Provides ongoing triage of patient needs and monitoring/adjustment of insulin dosages in conjunction with primary physician.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Maintain offices hours for one-on-one teaching to newly diagnosed diabetic patients, patients with ongoing diabetic issues and family members caring for diabetic patients
2) Hold education classes for groups of diabetic patients.
3) Act as liaison between patients and physicians, helping to determine when patients need physician interaction,
medical changes, etc.
4) Receive patient calls, assess/triage patients' medical concerns or needs, route calls to providers, and/or handle calls
within scope of authority. Respond to patient inquiries.
5) Take patient vitals, patient histories and record in patient charts.
6) Document and process encounter forms, lab requisitions, state supplied injections and all necessary paperwork.
7) Follows up with patient to make sure all regular tests are done.
8) Follow up with patients who are overdue with eye exams, HDL, Ha1c, etc.
9) Call in prescriptions to pharmacies.
10) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
11) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
12) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
13) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
14) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
15) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer
16) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
17) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
18) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Graduate of an accredited Registered Nurse program plus specialty training in diabetic nursing.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: RN licensed to practice in state of Massachusetts.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Five years experience as a nurse educator. Background in counseling and education as well as appropriate training as a Diabetic Nurse Educator.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs