Harvard University Accounting Mgt III in Cambridge, Massachusetts
53372BRAuto req ID:53372BRJob Code:F0057M Accounting Mgt III Location:USA - MA - Boston Business Title:Financial Operations ManagerSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :057Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Additional Qualifications and Skills:
Cover Resume Required
Degrees and Certificates:
• Master’s degree in relevant field or CPA preferred
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel (skills including complex formula building and large spreadsheet management needed), Salesforce preferred
• Demonstrated experience managing a team
Communication and organizational skills:
• Proven ability to handle sensitive data with discretion
• Ability to think creatively to solve problems and improve processes
• Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Strong team contributor with positive customer service attitude are essential
In light of the global pandemic, all interview and
onboarding activity for OEE will be conducted via
telephone and video conferencing. Temporary work
from home arrangements will be required for this position
through June, 2021, and it is not yet known when
traditional on-campus work will resume. Additional detail
will be provided to candidates during the interview
process. New hires must reside in one of the following
states on or before date of hire: MA, CT, ME, NH, NY, VT.
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the
health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and
students, as well as the wider community. Information
and details can be found via Harvard’s Coronavirus
Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu
Additional Information:Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values (https://hms.harvard.edu/about-hms/campus-culture/mission-statement-community-values)
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Department:Postgraduate Medical EducationPre-Employment Screening:Credit, Criminal, Education, IdentitySchedule:40 hours/week | Monday-FridayJob Function:Finance School/Unit:Harvard Medical School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Job Summary:Manage accounting activities such as reconciliations, analysis, and financial reporting.Typical Core Duties:
Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
Evaluate accounting processes and procedures, recommend improvements
Oversee accounting transactions, account reconciliations, journal entry verifications and reporting
May prepare tax documentation and financial statements
Develop and distribute communications to internal and external constituencies
Provide technical expertise, problem-resolution and training
Ensure financial compliance with University policies and procedures, audit and accounting disclosure requirements, and applicable legal rules and regulation
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience required
Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
Certificates and Licenses:
- CPA Preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting
Job-Specific Responsibilities:The Office for External Education is a $60M+, rapidly growing business with four (4) business lines, 14+ orgs, a staff of around 100, and over 400 programs delivered in multiple means (live, online, blended) across the globe. The Manager of Financial Operations, working under the direction of the Senior Manager of Financial Operations, oversees the daily operational accounting and control responsibilities that support the maintenance of the financial records of HMS External Education.
The Financial Operations Manager is a member of the Senior Finance Team and will be responsible for finding efficient and effective means of accomplishing goals, maximizing tools available, and/or identifying tools needed, to support of the business units.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Manages financial team of 4, including hiring, staff development, onboarding and performance management
• Manages all financial closings for External Education including month-end, quarterly and fiscal year-end closings
• Manages all financial transactions (AP, AR, GL, Chart Maintenance, Pcard, Concur), ensuring accuracy, compliance, efficiency and consistency
• Serves as key contact with HMS and University central Finance departments, including Cash Management
• Ensures timely and accurate processing with all financial transactions
• Provides high-level financial support and advice with complex accounting issues and problem resolution to both the financial team and business units
• Ensures compliance with University, HMS and OEE policies
• Manages all financial applications, including implementations, updates, roles and responsibilities
• Manages Revenue, Expense and balance sheet accounts including transactional use and reconciliation
• Ensures delivery of excellent customer service to internal and external clients
• Performs Financial analysis as needed
• Other duties as required