City of Cambridge Afterschool Assistant Teacher (2) in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be involved with the children as a caring and respectful adult, facilitate their play, respond with sensitivity to their needs, help them to remember and observe the limits of the program.
- Assist the Head Teacher and Teacher with the overall supervision of the classroom, be aware of the environment and alert to situations that may result in conflicts between children and/or those which may be unsafe.
- Assist staff in conducting activities in curriculum areas such as arts & crafts, music, sports, science, and games.
- Participate in the development of curriculum plans, as schedule permits.
- Share responsibility for snack preparation and clean up.
- Supervise children's outdoor play and assist other staff in supervision of field trips.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings with the Head Teacher and Teacher.
- Provide care of children during parent meetings (held every six weeks to two months).
- Pick up children at bus stops or classrooms (depending on need).
- Be available for extended hours during school vacation weeks.
- Participate in ongoing program quality improvement efforts, including classroom observations, debriefs of observations, action planning, and participation in a peer learning community.
- Maintain a neat classroom environment, including daily cleaning of classroom (sweeping, vacuuming, mopping of spills, etc. and periodic major clean-up). Help to build in children's regular participation in the clean-up and maintenance of the classroom into the program structure.
Be at least 18 years of age. Have an interest and ability to work with children. Be first aid trained within 6 months of hire. Additional training and experienced preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in work environment is moderately to very loud. The work environment includes classroom and outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Internal applicants submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest. External applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St., Cambridge, MA. FAX: 617-349-6248. PHONE: 617-349-6212 Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Afterschool Assistant Teacher (2)
Job Code: M444-707, M444-706
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: none
Hours Per Week: 19.5 hours per week, 10 months per year, must be available for extended hours during school vacation weeks.
POSTING DATE: November 27, 2019
RATE: $18.97 - $21.53