City of Cambridge Community School Director at Martin Luther King Jr. School in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Community School Director will be responsible for the supervision of the Program Director, Instructors and Program participants. He/She will specifically:
- Work collaboratively with the inclusion initiative in the development, implementation and management of an inclusionary out of school time program for children in the Martin Luther King Jr. School neighborhood.
- Ensure programs meet standards of high quality youth programs.
- Develop and implement programs for adults, families and seniors.
- Recruit, hire, supervise and evaluate afterschool Instructors/Specialists and summer program staff.
- Manage and oversee a full day Summer Camp Program.
- Develop and implement summer Arts in the Park program in the Martin Luther King Jr. Community.
- Publicize daily programs/activities using all available means.
- Recruit and supervise participants enrolled in program/activities.
- Evaluate programs and maintain all records necessary to assess program quality.
- Work collaboratively with the Agenda for Children (QIS) Integrated Self-Assessment Initiative to develop best practices and improve program quality.
- Provide regular fiscal reports to Program Manager and Fiscal offices of DHSP.
- Manage facilities used for all programs/activities including responsibility for building supervision and security.
- Develop outreach and maintain close communication and collaboration with school staff, neighborhood organizations and service providers to ensure access to programs for children.
- Develop and work with residents of the Martin Luther King Jr. community to actively promote the involvement of community residents in planning programs and activities for children, seniors and adults.
- Participate in Director's meetings, program development meetings and division meetings.
- Participate in on-going professional development training to enhance program practices and quality
Bachelors Degree in related field preferred*. *Minimum of three years experience developing and implementing programs for children, adults, seniors and families in a community based setting and supervising staff. Experience in inclusionary programming for children with special needs is strongly desired. Excellent organizational and administrative skills required. Successful experience generating revenue, a strong financial management background as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: *The duties of the job involve a good deal of sitting, standing, walking and oftentimes engaging with children on the floor. *Must have sufficient mobility to travel between sites on a regular basis. Employee must occasionally transport materials weighing up to 50 pounds from one site to another.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:Time will be divided primarily between two sites: Department of Human Services main site and the Community School Program site. DHSP main site is a general office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting. Programming is on multiple levels in school building. Employee must occasionally transport materials weighing up to 50 pounds from one site to another.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Community School Director at Martin Luther King Jr. School
Job Code: M428-701
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 37.5 hrs/wk; some evenings and weekend hours
POSTING DATE: June 27, 2018
CLOSING DATE: July 30, 2018
RATE: $ 52,367 – 62,104 + excellent benefits (2.5% COLA added 7/1/18)