City of Cambridge Preschool Teacher, Childcare and Family Support Service (6 positions) in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Teacher is responsible for and expected to:**
Research and plan regularly scheduled curriculum activities and long-term projects that:
* * Correspond to the educational philosophy and goals of the program; * Meet the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC), NAEYC, QRIS, and DHSP curriculum standards and guidelines; and * Enhance the social, physical, emotional, and intellectual development of children enrolled in the program * Meet weekly with the Teacher/Director or Lead Teacher to review and, if needed, improve weekly written curriculum plans. * Implement regularly scheduled curriculum activities and long-term projects. * Reflect upon children's learning to inform next cycle of curriculum planning. * Incorporate Teacher/Director and Lead Teacher's suggestions around all areas of curriculum. * Conduct child-centered play-based small and large group activities with children on a daily basis. * Participate fully in safe and developmentally appropriate field trips that connect curriculum topics to the world outside of the classroom. * Arrange and maintain classroom space which allows for a large variety of activities that promotes children's growing independence in using the classroom resources and materials. * Involve enrolled children in assessing the classroom environment and establishing classroom rules in order to accommodate individual and group needs. * Maintain classroom space free from hazards as well as implement safety/playground checklists as per EEC, NAEYC, QRIS & DHSP regulations. * Provide nurturing and socially responsive care to all children enrolled in the program. * Participate in developing strategies to fully support the development of individual children. * Observe, reflect upon, and document four to five children's developmental progress using the Work Sampling on-line assessment tool supplemented by a portfolio of the children's work. * Write Work Sampling Narrative Summary Reports in language parents/guardians can understand and share these with parents during 3 annual parent-teacher conferences. Submit these for review, as needed, to theTeacher/Director or Lead Teacher. * Participate in documenting children's learning though displays of children's work. * Initiate and maintain regular and respectful communication with parents regarding their child's daily experiences in the program through daily conversations or meetings. In all communications, respect child, family, and staff confidentiality * Participate in a variety of meetings: parent meetings or workshops; staff meetings with the Teacher/Director, Preschool Manager, or other DHSP Childcare staff; and with program consultants. * Provide consistent professional support and communication to and with the classroom team, giving constructive ideas, seeking and accepting advice to enhance the team's functioning. * Fulfill some Lead Teacher position responsibilities when Lead Teacher is not present, including, but not limited to, direction and supervision of substitute staff. * Maintain professional knowledge through participation in in-service training workshops offered by the Childcare Division or other outside resources as well as meeting educational requirements established by the Department of Early Care and Education and the City of Cambridge.
- Must meet or exceed EEC regulations for preschool teacher and be at least 21 years of age.
- Minimum of associate degree; BA preferred
- At least three years' experience in teaching, including 9 months of supervised experience.
- Must have basic writing and computer skills.
In evaluating candidates, the City reserves the right to determine, in its sole discretion, that an individual who does not meet the educational requirements described herein, but who is currently pursuing a degree, may be considered to be qualified for this position. The continued employment of any individual hired or promoted into this position will be contingent upon that employee's ongoing pursuit of a college degree in early childhood development or a related area.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Be agile in their movements; moving quickly from sitting on the floor to standing, to kneeling so as to be at the child's eye level. Employees may have to run after children, both in play and to respond to an emergency.
- Be able to hear children who speak in a soft voice or mumble words when distressed.
- Be able to use their hands and arms to move, reach, handle, and manipulate objects in the classroom. This includes moving furniture once a year when room is re-organized.
- Be able to occasionally lift and/or move a child (up to 40 pounds).
- Vision abilities are required for the supervision of children.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job.
The noise level is moderately to very loud. It includes classroom, outdoor playgrounds, and occasional field trips.
Internal applicants submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest. External applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St., Cambridge, MA. FAX: 617-349-6248. PHONE: 617-349-6212. Applicants may apply directly through Schoolspring by applying for Job ID # 3361368 or may go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=3361368
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Preschool Teacher, Childcare and Family Support Service (6 positions)
Job Code: D446-703, 704, 705,709. 722, 725
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: Local 1596 (United Auto Worker
Hours Per Week: 40 hours per week
POSTING DATE: September 9, 2020
RATE: $19.72-$22.84 per hour + excellent benefits