Novartis Principal Scientist, PK Sciences Oncology-Radioligand Therapies (RLT) in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Principal Scientist, PK Sciences Oncology-Radioligand Therapies (RLT)
Nov 24, 2023
About the Role
90%! Is the percentage of our treatments in development with the potential to be first in class or first in a specific indication!
Novartis is deeply committed to transforming the lives of people living with solid tumors. We believe that anyone living with these conditions has the right to a life free from pain, free from symptoms and free from disease - this is our vision for the future.
Our mission is to reimagine medicine to extend and improve peoples lives – and our overall company strategy to achieve this is to Focus Novartis as a leading medicine company powered by data science and advanced therapy platforms such as Radioligand Therapy (RLT).
Novartis has become the industry leader in RLT after the acquisition of Advanced Accelerator Applications (AAA) and Endocyte in 2018, together with other significant investments to advance radioligand research. Novartis Oncology is now developing a wide range of targeted RLTs, and precision Radioligand Imaging (RLI) agents, for oncology with a rich pipeline targeting multiple tumor types through a phenotypic precision medicine approach.
Nuclear Medicine (NM) expertise is key for Novartis Oncology to expand RLT and supportive RLI agents in a sustainable manner.
The PK Sciences (PKS) team offers you a unique opportunity to make an impact where 450 projects are straddling discovery through development. PKS is a global organization of about 300 associates, within the Translational Medicine (TM) department, in Novartis Institutes of Biomedical Research (NIBR). It is an enterprise organization, unique to pharmaceutical industry, where you can work across both NIBR (Research) and the Global Drug Development (GDD) organizations to advance the scientific knowledge of pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, metabolism and clinical pharmacology from discovery through approval and beyond. Novartis portfolio consists of projects in multiple therapeutic areas (Cardiovascular, Metabolic Diseases, Immunology, Hepatology, Dermatology, Oncology, Hematology, Neuroscience, Musculoskeletal Diseases, Respiratory, and Ophthamology) using several therapeutic modalities including small molecules, biologics, gene therapy and cell therapy. We collaborate across scientific and organizational boundaries, with a focus on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
In this role of Principal Scientist, you will collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team to select and characterize new chemical and biologic entities in research and development and implement clinical pharmacology strategies in early and late clinical development. You will represent the PK/PD/ADME discipline on discovery and development project teams, and suggest and implement strategies and tactics to advance high-quality entities in RLT as part of the overall program(s).
Your major accountabilities will include but not be limited to:
• provide matrix leadership to collaborate, align and influence across the cross-functional team to identify and mitigate key project issues related to the pharmacokinetic sciences discipline (PK, PK/PD, metabolism and clinical pharmacology).
• Represent the PK/PD/ADME/Clinical Pharmacology discipline as per project need, and serve providing scientific expertise on global cross-functional project teams, leading the strategy, design, execution, and analysis of PKS preclinical and clinical studies.
• Work with subject matter experts in PKS and partner groups
• Support PKS components of preclinical and clinical study protocol designs, preclinical and clinical study reports, and investigator brochures, IND, NDA etc. Prepare for Health Authority calls/meetings/discussion and be responsible as PKS representative in these settings.
• Collaborate with other NIBR and GDD functions, bring innovative ideas and approaches, and a leadership, enterprise mindset that inform and influence the overall drug discovery and development process.
• Responsible for the compilation, seeking of approval and updating of Line Function specific elements of development plans to support the TPP (Target Product Profile).
• Evaluate in-licensing opportunities and carry out Due Diligence activities as required.
The specific accountabilities of the role will be based on the stage of the program (preclinical or clinical)
The location of the position will be at our Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• PhD/PharmD in pharmacology/physiology, biochemistry, chemistry, pharmacokinetics/pharmaceutical sciences, or related sciences.
• Preferably 2 plus years of experience in pharmaceutical industry in a field related to PKS (e.g. Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics).
• Familiarity with standard ADME/PK modelling tools such as Phoenix, GastroPlus, etc. is desirable
• Hands-on project experience with low molecular weight, peptides, and biologics modalities desirable;
• Proven record as team player/leader with superior communication skills.
• Demonstrated success working in a matrix environment.
• Excellent written and oral (English) communication skills is a must
Experience with Radiopharmaceuticals
Experience with preclinical and translational development
736 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2022 and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $107,200 and $177,600/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network .
No video provider was found to handle the given URL. See the documentation (https://www.drupal.org/node/2842927) for more information.
Company / Legal Entity
Research & Development
- Novartis Jobs