Harvard University Program Director in Cambridge, Massachusetts
53570BRAuto req ID:53570BRJob Code:360058 Admin Offcr/SrIndiv Contrib Location:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:Program DirectorSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :058Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Basic Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree plus 4 years of program management experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
Knowledge/interest in international development, higher education, and/or public policy desirable. Experience with Harvard financial systems and processes desirable. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
Essential Competencies: composure, integrity and trust, time management, customer focus, learning on the fly, technical learning, boss relationships, written communication, approachability, organizing, functional technical skills, action oriented, peer relationships, perseverance, priority setting, self development, planning, timely decision making, financial acumen, drive for results, delegation, managing diversity, presentation skills, building effective teams, organizational agility, directing others, motivating others, dealing with ambiguity, and comfort around higher management.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide visa sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Please note: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with transition to onsite in Cambridge, Massachusetts when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Harvard Kennedy School’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging. (https://www.hks.harvard.edu/more/about/diversity-inclusion-and-belonging)
Salary Range: $77,400 - $132,400
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Department:Executive EducationPre-Employment Screening:Education, IdentityJob Function:General Administration Job-Specific Responsibilities: Program management/operations responsibilities:
Represents the Kennedy School and Executive Education to faculty and program participants; is prepared and professional in public presentations and meetings; organizes reports and data for faculty chair(s) and senior director of program delivery.
· Reviews, enhances and implements existing marketing and outreach strategies; coordinates with marketing team. Strategy may include direct mail, conference participation, third party funding relationships, recruiting meetings, and/or sales visits to target groups. Develops sales skills and strategies by working closely with the Senior Director.
· Develops strong working relationships with faculty chair; staffs faculty chair for program activity as appropriate; keeps faculty chair informed of all major program related activity and/or decisions. Responsible for informing faculty chair about standards within EE, such as faculty comp guidelines and the process related to the hiring of Teaching Assistants.
· Manages all aspects of admissions and enrollment process, including admissions decisions, and fellowship award decisions. Oversees communication strategy and processes with prospective participants.
· Keeps senior director updated on all program statuses-enrollment, program highlights, participant issues, performance vs. targets, innovations, etc.
· Directs program operations, including all aspects of logistics, faculty relationships and curriculum development; takes lead in anticipating and resolving issues in collaboration with senior director of program delivery. Acts as a project manager for new programming.
· Manages staff assigned to program; ensuring a high level of professionalism, teamwork and focus on customer service. Reviews staff work; completes program staff evaluations. Assists in the professional development of more junior staff.
· Establishes the overall timeline for the program and ensures that all tasks are completed as needed within standard policies and procedures. Coordinates the efforts of faculty, staff, and supporting units both within and outside Exec Ed.
· Maintains a high level of professionalism and focus on customer service within the program team. Seeks to exceed participant expectations whenever possible.
· Exercises financial management and oversight of assigned programs. Develops program budgets; strives to achieve financial goals. Responsible for program spending, including faculty compensation, catering charges, etc. Knowledge of program gift terms, renewals and/or program specific MOUs as they relate to assigned programs. Reviews and approves staff overtime. Responsible for collection of tuition. Identifies and troubleshoots any problems as quickly as possible with Finance Unit.
· In the case of contract programs, works with Finance Unit to develop and implement formal agreements with clients, based on standard contracting methodology.
· Fulfills all required reporting processes within Salesforce, including financial reconciliation and the Program Review & Outlook (PRO) process. Tracks and complies with any external reporting requirements; for example, with third party payers.
· Demonstrates knowledge, skills and comfort with best practices for online, on-campus and offsite learning. This includes making suggestions and training faculty, staff and participants through online platforms.
· Contributes to program and department improvements.
· Other duties as needed .
School/Unit:Harvard Kennedy School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Job Summary: Reporting to the Senior Director, Program Management, the Program Director directs & manages an assigned portfolio of Executive Education programs. Programs will include a mix of both multiple and single session open enrollment and contract programs. These programs will take place either on-campus, online or offsite. The Program Director is responsible for leading all aspects of assigned programs, including coordinating faculty effort, ensuring participant satisfaction, managing operational staff, and achieving financial targets.
The Program Director is a professional with supervisory, financial, organizational, and communication skills, both oral and written. They must be comfortable speaking before a group and must be both a team player and effective in directing the work of others. They should have experience with Zoom technology and must be willing to work longer hours and weekends, while programs are in session. Some travel required.
Harvard Kennedy School’s’ Executive Education team is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment. We actively seek applications from individuals who share our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace.