City of Cambridge Reading Teacher for Adult Education Class (part-time), Community Learning Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Depending on areas of expertise and experience, teach a basic (GLE 0-3.9), Pre-ASE (GLE 6-8.9), or ASE (GLE 9-12+) reading class
- Follow a theme-based CCRS-aligned scope and sequence and a series of instructional units developed by CLC staff; prepare lessons for the class
- Apply knowledge of the special needs of students with learning and other disabilities to create a classroom environment that is responsive to the needs of all learners
- Train classroom aides in working with small groups or individual students as necessary
- Engage in paid professional development and meetings with supervisor on a regular basis
- Participate in 2.5 paid planning weeks
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Ability to work under the supervision of a full-time staff person and to take constructive feedback
- High level of organization, motivation, and conscientiousness
- Interest in periodically revising existing curriculum
- Master's degree preferred
- At least two years of experience working with adults in a diverse, multicultural setting
- Coursework in reading and learning disabilities
- Wilson or Orton-Gillingham certification
- Experience administering the Diagnostic Assessment of Reading (DAR)
- Knowledge of Evidence Based Reading Instruction (EBRI)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:Job requires some computer use. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting.**
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copiesof bothyour resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit bothyour resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Applicants may also apply directly through schoolspring.com and apply for Job ID # 3160739 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=3160739Review of resumes is ongoing. Position is considered open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Reading Teacher for Adult Education Class (part-time), Community Learning Center
Job Code: K035
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:45-9:15 p.m. plus 2 hours of preparation (5 hours in all)
POSTING DATE: August 20, 2019
RATE: $28.33 per hour