Harvard University Research Assistant I Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts

45175BRAuto req ID:45175BRJob Code:403108 Research Assistant I Lab Location:USA - MA - Boston Business Title:Research Assistant ISub-Unit:------------ Appointment End Date:31-Aug-2019Salary Grade:052Time Status:Full-time Union:55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers Basic Qualifications:One year of related work experience including experience working with miceAdditional Qualifications:High Motivation, strong organizational, analytical and communication skills, multi-tasking skills, ability to work well with others and as part of a team, attention to detail.Additional Information:This is grant-funded position through August 31, 2019. Offer contingent upon successful completion of a pre-placement medical evaluation.Department:Microbiology and ImmunobiologyPre-Employment Screening:Identity Schedule:35 hrs per week, Monday-FridayJob Function:Research Duties & Responsibilities:This position involves transgenic mouse strain maintenance including weaning/separating mice and monitoring of breeding pair productivity and litter production as well as maintaining records of mouse strain productivity. The technician will help maintain breeders and progeny at appropriate levels. The technician will perform tail biopsies, ear tagging, and bleeding of mice. The technician will carefully monitor mice for development of pain or distress, and specific strains for development of diabetes (by monitoring urine glucose) and for development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (according to specific guidelines). The individual will assist with transferring mice to collaborators at HMS and shipping mice to collaborators at other institutions. The individual will assist with mouse necropsies and organ harvest. The individual will assist with genotyping mice by PCR. 63% of these duties will be performed in the mouse room; the remaining 37% will be performed in Dr. Sharpe's laboratory. School/Unit:Harvard Medical School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.