City of Cambridge Support Teacher, King Open Extended Day in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of one or more KOED Teachers, the Support Teacher will:
- Work with 2 to 3 after school classes.
- Substitute when classroom teachers are absent.
- Participate in and support the implementing of an after-school curriculum which is well rounded, developmentally responsive, learning oriented and hands-on.
- Promote and support each child's physical, social, emotional and academic growth during after school hours.
- Participate in opportunities for collaborations/partnerships with other Department of Human Service Programs' youth serving divisions in order to better serve Cambridge children and families.
- Participate in related professional development from "outside" service providers.
- Participate in ongoing "in-house" staff development provided by King Open Extended Day and DHSP for professional development and to enhance program practices and overall quality.
- Maintain professional integrity and conduct by following and promoting program policies, procedures and routines.
- Educational experience/studies in early childhood education, child growth and development, human service, social work and other relevant fields preferred.
- Out of school and/or in school experience working with children ages 4.5 - 12 (grades k-5) with a minimum of one year relevant experience preferred.
- Sense of humor and ability to act as a strong positive role model and organize and engage children and peers.
- Excellent organizational skills and attentiveness to detail.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft office suite, or similar system, and computer/internet based lesson planning preferred.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in all activities and responsibilities.
- Experience working with and creating strong relationships with families of diverse cultural, ethnic, linguistic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Commitment to and experience with collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Commitment to anti-bias, culturally proficient practices.
- Interpersonal skills that excel in cultural sensitivity, respect for differences, and communication.
- Bilingual/bicultural background a plus.
- Commitment to enhancing reflective practice and ability to accept supervision and guidance.
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the program's mission.
- Knowledge of Nurtured Heart Approach techniques and/or Responsive Classroom techniques a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work environment includes classroom, outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips. The noise level in work environment is moderately to very loud.
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copiesof bothyour resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit bothyour resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St, Cambridge, MA. Fax: (617) 349-6248 Phone (617) 349-6212. Applicants may also apply by going to schoolspring.com and apply for Job ID # 2824345 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=2824345 Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Support Teacher, King Open Extended Day
Job Code: X042
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 17 hours/week plus additional hours during vacations, Early Release Days and special events, 10-month position
POSTING DATE: July 18, 2017
RATE: $15.64 per hour