City of Cambridge Teacher for Adult Education STAR Intermediate Reading Class (part-time), Community Learning Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Employ STAR teaching methods to develop students' word identification, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary skills (4-5.9 GLE).
- Prepare lessons for each class for an assortment of homogenous skill-based groups.
- Apply knowledge of the special needs of students with learning disabilities to create a classroom environment that is responsive to the needs of all learners.
- Train classroom aides in working with small groups.
- Follow a theme-based CCRS-aligned scope and sequence developed by CLC staff.
- Engage in paid professional development and meetings with supervisor on a regular basis.
- Participate in 2.5 paid planning weeks.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum two years' teaching experience
- STAR certification or willingness to take the STAR training in 2018-2019
- Experience administering the DAR strongly preferred
- Experience teaching adult basic education students strongly preferred
- Ability to use leveled reading materials to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners
- Comfort overseeing two to three reading groups at one time
- Ability to guide classroom aides in running homogeneous reading groups
- Knowledge of EBRI
- Interest in periodically revising existing curriculum
- Ability to work under the supervision of a full-time staff person and to take constructive feedback
- High level of organization, motivation, and conscientiousness
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:Job requires some computer use. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: *General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting*
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copiesof bothyour resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit bothyour resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Applicants may also apply by going to schoolspring.com and apply for Job ID #2954807 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=2954807 Review of resumes will begin June 15th. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Human Service Programs
Job Title: Teacher for Adult Education STAR Intermediate Reading Class (part-time), Community Learning Center
Job Code: K035
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:45-9:15 p.m. plus 3 hours of preparation (6 hours in all)
POSTING DATE: June 8, 2018
RATE: $26.96 per hour (2.5% COLA will be added effective 7/1/18)