State of Massachusetts Math Content Specialist, Educational Specialist C in Malden, Massachusetts
* This requisition will remain * open until filled; ** however, first consideration will be given to those applicants who apply within the first 14 days .
The Office for STEM in the Center for Instructional Support at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) provides leadership for the development and supporting the implementation of the Curriculum Frameworks in Mathematics, Science and Technology/Engineering, and Digital Literacy and Computer Science. The Office also supports districts’ development of STEM programs that embody rigorous curriculum aligned to these Frameworks. The Office is also responsible for designing STEM resources and providing professional development in these subjects. In addition, it links STEM initiatives to other initiatives at DESE.
The Mathematics Education Specialist C will make high-quality mathematics resources, guides, and tools available to schools and districts across the Commonwealth. The selected candidate will research, develop, and disseminate mathematics resources, tools, and networking opportunities for schools and districts that fulfill targeted needs and program priorities; draw from a variety of sources and research to evaluate quality and relevance of resources to district needs; disseminate materials and information across the state; and follow up with schools and districts to evaluate the impact and use of resources provided. The Specialist will work in the Department’s Center for Instructional Support, and in close collaboration with the Statewide System of Support.
The selected candidate for this position will perform the following duties:
- Provide high-quality, standards-aligned mathematics professional development, resources,
and tools for schools and districts, including but not limited to:
◦ effective classroom practices,
◦ instructional materials,
◦ professional development, and
◦ formative assessment and benchmark tools.
- Provide targeted assistance to low performing schools and districts, such as:
◦ consult on the development and implementation of school/district Turnaround plans spe cific to their goals for mathematics,
◦ detailed analysis of mathematics achievement data, and
◦ curriculum alignment with state academic standards.
- Develop and facilitate networking activities to support:
◦ high quality professional development,
◦ sharing of best practices and resources, and
◦ dissemination of materials and information.
- Assist with maintenance of and inquiries about the Mathematics Curriculum Framework and
- Collaborate with other Department programs and units, including Student Assessment,
Special Education, and Career and Technical Education/Vocational Education to:
◦ review proposals as required,
◦ support state testing committee meetings, and
◦ participate in cross-team projects and initiatives as necessary.
• Demonstrated success in mathematics in improving PK12 student learning, particularly for st udents who need the most
• Has knowledge of strategies and demonstrated success working with English Language Learners
• Strong pedagogical mathematical content knowledge and the ability to plan, implement and
adjust instruction in alignment with the new MA mathematics Curriculum Framework
• Experience developing and/or implementing integrated STEM educational materials and opportunities
• Strong knowledge of current research in mathematics education
• Track record of success in developing and providing professional development that was
engaging and had an impact on the practice of other educators
• Familiarity with effective mathematics curriculum programs, textbooks, materials, and instructional strategies
• Familiarity and experience collecting and analyzing data and program evaluation
• Adept at effectively managing multiple priorities in high-demand environment
• Demonstrated initiative; especially in problem-solving, anticipating risks
• Demonstrated success working independently and collaboratively
• Relentless sense of urgency and commitment to setting and attaining ambitious goals
• Experience working with a range of diverse stakeholders and tailoring approach and communication to successfully meet project goals and timelines
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Improvement mindset
• Commitment and experience in creating equitable educational opportunities for all students
• Facility in the use of digital technology, including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software and flexibility in adapting to computer applications
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional educational experience in a specific or related content area, educational program/or service;
A Master’s degree or higher in a specific or related educational content area may be substituted for two years of the required experience -- 30 semester hours equals one year of experience for substitution purposes.
Education toward a degree in a specific or related educational content area will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Special Requirements: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator's License or the equivalent from another state may be required.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Organization: *Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Title: Math Content Specialist, Educational Specialist C
Location: Massachusetts-Malden - 75 Pleasant Street
Requisition ID: 180003VJ