State of Massachusetts Educational Specialist (A/B) - Technology Instructor in Milford, Massachusetts
• Teach technology courses including Microsoft Office suite as assigned by supervisor.
• Provide technology support to academic staff and students as needed.
• Utilize data to inform instruction and programming.
•May be expected to work evening hours as operationally necessary.
•Will be expected to travel to various facilities as assigned
Possess the ability to teach in a correctional setting and interact with an adult incarcerated population with possible medical, psychosocial, mental illness, behavioral dysregulation, or educational deficits.
• Works with Education Division and administration staff to deliver specialized instruction in a secure setting.
• Utilize research-based practices, current instructional methods, and aligned materials to ensure effective instruction.
• Complete student attendance daily.
• Update inmate case plan as required by Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) including the awarding of Earned Good Time and completing performance ratings on time each month and time sensitive documentation for program completion as directed in SOP.
• Complete required 40 hours of training within the fiscal year
Maintain a current Teaching Certificate as necessary and provide appropriate documentation
Maintain a record of professional development and DOC trainings attended.
Provide originals at each Stage A, B, and C performance review
Update timecard promptly to ensure that payroll is processed accurately.
• Illustrate a comprehensive and current knowledge of DOC policies and procedures.
•Utilize an informed understanding of current educational assessments to provide educational instruction.
• Complete other duties as assigned that support the Division’s mission.
• Engage in Division priorities to enhance the progression of strategic goals.
• Collaborate with other professionals, both inside and outside of the Division of Inmate Training and Education, to contribute to the goals of the Division.
• Interact and communicate with staff in a professional manner while utilizing appropriate boundaries.
• Interact and communicate with inmates in professional manner while utilizing appropriate boundaries.
• Report any and all security related concerns to your supervisor promptly.
• Manage assigned workshop and classroom in a manner consistent with institutional rules and regulations.
• Maintain a current and up-to-date inventory of tools and equipment and supervise tool control.
• Maintain a safe, secure and clean working area.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Applicants should have a current Massachusetts Teacher certification in the field of IT or applicant should be certification-eligible. A Bachelor's Degree. Experience in the field of IT. Knowledge of principles, practices and methods in education. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with MOS certification or certification eligible. Experience with adult learners. Must possess attitude, temperament and ability to work in a correctional setting.
This position will cover multiple Department of Correction facilities.
This is a Civil Service position. Please note that salaries for union positions are determined according to the provisions of the respective collective bargaining agreement.
Applicants must have no felony convictions, to include any actions defined in 5 U.S.C. 301; U.S.C. 509, 510; 42 U.S.C. 15601-15609.
The Massachusetts Department of Correction shall not hire anyone who may have direct contact with offenders, who has engaged in sexual abuse in a prison or other institution as defined in 42 U.S.C. 1997; or has been convicted of engaging or attempting to engage in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable to consent or refuse, or has been civilly or administratively adjudicated to have engaged in the activity described in the above paragraph.
The agency shall consider any incidents of sexual harassment in determining whether to hire anyone who may have contact with offenders or residents.
The DOC urges bi-lingual applicants to apply.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in teaching, educational administration, educational counseling or educational guidance, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. A Bachelor's or higher degree with a major in education or special education, educational administration or educational counseling may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Special Requirements: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator's License or the equivalent from another state may be required.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Organization: *Department of Correction
Title: Educational Specialist (A/B) - Technology Instructor
Location: Massachusetts-Milford-50 Maple Street
Requisition ID: 180007UD