Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Research Associate III in Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Research Associate to join the Physical Oceanography Department. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position, and is eligile for benefits.
Coupled Climate Modeling on the extratropical ocean-atmosphere interaction
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) invites applications for a Research Associate III with a specialty on the coupled climate modeling to work on various projects by Young-Oh Kwon (WHOI) and the collaborators in multiple institutions including the National Center for Atmospheric Research. The primary area of focus is the large-scale extratropical ocean-atmosphere interaction.
The task will involve providing modeling support for various projects, participation in the analysis, and writing papers as a lead or co-author. The position would also allow the successful candidate to develop their own research proposals to external funding agencies, e.g., NSF, as a lead or co-PI, if desired by the candidate.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, up to three relevant publications, and contact information for at least three professional references. Please apply online https://tinyurl.com/mv7wjuse. Application review will begin on May 15, 2023, but the position will remain open until it is filled.
For further information please contact Young-Oh Kwon (email@example.com).
Designing, conducting, and analyzing climate model experiments as well as comparing with observational and reanalysis data sets. Research on the role of ocean dynamics and ocean-to-atmosphere feedback in the large-scale extratropical atmospheric and ocean variability. Communication with the project participants from multiple institutions.
• exercises independent judgment and creativity in making adaptations or
modifications to standard research and laboratory methods;
• assists in the preparation of scholarly papers and research proposals and
demonstrates skill in communicating the results of the scientific endeavors;
• may prepare and produce independent writings of scientific endeavors;
• may supervise other technical staff personnel within the laboratory.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
· Master’s degree with a several years of relevant experience or Ph.D. degree in atmospheric science, oceanography, or other relevant discipline.
· Prior experience in climate modeling, preferably with the Community Earth System Model (CESM), with ability to modify the component models to setup the planned simulations.
· Good understanding of the midlatitude atmospheric and ocean circulation and their interaction.
The position will be located at WHOI in Woods Hole, MA, while a remote work arrangement can be considered. This position is full-time and eligible for benefits. The initial appointment will be for one year with a possibility of renewal for another year. Renewal of the appointment is conditional on making satisfactory progress during the first year. Longer term appointment is possible depending on the job performance and availability of the funds. Start date is flexible with a suggested date of March 1, 2022, but the successful candidate could begin earlier. Applications from under-represented groups in geosciences are particularly encouraged.
Job ID: 2022-1899
External Company URL: https://www.whoi.edu/
Street: 266 Woods Hole Rd